My first weekend is over.
I had an amazing time on Friday with doing a Scavenger Hunt throughout the city and then going to Oktoberfest. I have decided that if you've been to Oktoberfest (the real one, not a imitation) it must be impossible to label anything less a 'party' ever again.
Saturday, we went looking for a gym where we can take recreation classes throughout the year. We found it, but it was closed. It was right next to the Olympia Stadium, where the primary soccer team plays - FC Bayern. It definitely got me excited to go to a game. Then, I got a call from Emily, which was so awesome. So I met her at Oktoberfest. Emily and her friends had a table outside, which is not the same as inside, but it was still cool. Then we went dancing at an Australian club. It was more of a touristy experience than Friday night, which was more of a Bavarian experience.
On Sunday, I met Emily and her friends again to go to the Neue Pinothek, one of the many art museums in the city. It was really cool, Renoir, Manet, Monet, Van Gogh, Cezane, Goghan...and plenty of other German artists that you don't learn about at school. Then we went back to Oktoberfest (which, by the way, us Germans call Wies'n) to look for Emily's camera. It was definitely a lost cause, but we got some good food while we were there.
On Sunday, especially at night, there is very little open around here. So we decided to cook dinner together tonight. I actually didn't cook, but I brought some stuff and chopped some peppers...I'm not really a chef. Anna, Tiffany, and I met at Ingrid's room (her's is the cleanest) for our little evening. It was really fun getting to know my new friends better. It is really funny trying to cook in the tiny kitchen that we have and we had to turn two trash cans upsidedown so that we had enough places to sit. It was sort of an adventure. I forsee the procedure improving in the near future.
German culture is not that different from in the US, so far that I've observed. You see alot more Lederhosen (but that's just during Oktoberfest, I think). Everyone speaks English, even if you don't want them to. The pillows are shaped like the ones that your dog sleeps on in the corner - big squares. The greatest sin that one could ever commit would be to recycle improperly (there's at least 12 different bins in some places, and I try to only sort mine when no one is looking). Drying machines are not commonly accepted, one should hang-dry all clothes (even if it's freakin raining everyday!). The air here is actually very dry, even though it rains alot (I don't get it). All the public transportation uses the honor system when it comes to paying. Nudity on TV is not frowned upon. The toilets are just not as efficient or functional (I think it has something to do with water conservation, but I'm still trying to figure it out). People are very friendly and have been very helpful whenever I've asked for help. I have definitely fallen in love with public transportation! Munich is a very international city, especially during Oktoberfest, so it's cool to meet people from all over the world!
Well, I have to take a German test in the morning. So if you don't hear from me in awhile, it's because I have been deported for being too stupid. (Just kidding!)
Sunday, September 26, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
just in defense of my sitting outside (this is Emily by the way)- we sat inside the night before and attempted it once again- but after abotu an hour of waiting in line- decided outside wasn't so bad- AND courtny met some interesting aussis outside with me so ha---make sure you enjoy the rest of the fest! (and look for my camera- it doesn't speak german as well as I do so it's scared ;) }
Post a Comment